I have been working with Robot Vision for more than ten years. In the beginning we were happy when the could pick at all and the robot did not crash too often 🙂 When picking from boxes and pallets the there is always a last challenge to know that the layer or box is empty before you move it away – if you are wrong it hits hard when the robot moves non-empty box.
Our innovative and new solution is the Scorpion 3D Stinger MLaser Camera. The system consists of the following standard elements:
- Scorpion Vision 3D Empty App
- Compact PC running Scorpion Version X
- Scorpion 3D Stinger MLaser Camera
The Scorpion 3D Stinger MLaser Camera is a combined with a 10 mW or 100 mW multiline laser that is projected onto the pallet or into the box.
Read more about the Scorpion 3D Stinger Camera
Locate moving objects in 3D
The technology is not limited to robotics – the challenge also exists in all kind of box moving application where everything stops when the box or conveyor is not empty.
Scorpion 3D Stinger MLaser is able to operate with superior performance based on the following features:
- Packaged in the Scorpion 3D Stinger Camera
- Using stereo vision to locate the laserlines
- Automatic and Accurate One Push 3D Calibration
- Robust sub-pixel 2D location of laser lines
- Create a 3D Image in Real-time
- The Scorpion Tool Components LocatePaths3D has significant features to handle missing laser points and folding challenges.
- The sample shows a point cloud of 4489 points that is generated in 165 ms
The Scorpion 3D Stinger MLaser Camera is created to solve demanding applications in robotics and automation. It has a long list of features that make a difference in mission-crtitical applications. The 3D technology is available to OEMs and System Integrators.
Used to solve challenging 3D Bin Picking
With a fast vision cycle time of less than 500 ms a robust strategy must be developed. The empty check is critical for 100% reliable operation because the robot must empty the bin before moving the box away.
The animation shows the the two stereo-vision cameras, the 3D Model and the corresponding height map. There are images showing one item, two items and empty.
Read more – Video – Innovative Real-time 3D Bin Picking